As a mid/senior level engineer, you will provide roadway and intersection design support with responsibility for internal project task management, project strategies and approaches, as well as mentoring and guiding junior level staff. You may be responsible for developing construction drawings and will be available to step in and take over some of the responsibilities of the Principal Engineer as needed. The successful candidate will have a strong desire and the interpersonal skills to interface with clients, and will receive mentoring and support from the team to become successful in this role. The successful candidate will be looking for more opportunities to take on additional responsibility as they manage their own career path at the firm.
Your role would be to apply your understanding of three dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design to lead, advance and support: planning studies, corridor evaluations, project permitting, and preliminary and final design plan production.
- 5-10 years of civil engineering experience with a background in three dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design.
- Hands-on design experience in the traditional design elements of any of the following: designing, coordinating, and managing traffic engineering design projects, including traffic signals roundabouts, service interchanges, bicycle/pedestrian projects, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans.
- Experience in preparing reports, plans, quantities and estimates using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, the AASHTO Policy, and MUTCD and other local design criteria is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field, Alaska professional registration, and minimum of four years of qualifying transportation design engineering experience.
- Past experience in internal task management with a track record of organizing and training junior level staff on project components.
- Software: High degree of functionality in and understanding of Microstation, AutoCAD, InRoads, and/or Civil3D.
Preferred additional qualifications:
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design experience
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles that support and affect geometric design
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- Experience in coordinating with environmental planners, stakeholder outreach teams and other disciplines for project delivery.
- Confident public speaker before laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners.
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability
- A strong interest to learn
- Outward focused with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think on their feet with strong communication skills
The professionals who now define our reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that have led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success for everyone on the team.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in Transportation today, we want to hear from you!