KAI has been providing transportation engineering, planning, and research services to organizations throughout the U.S. since 1985. Our Boise office, part of the company’s Northwest Region, has been in operation since 2003. Our core value is most simply described as “outward focus”, which means we are committed to putting the needs of clients, staff, the profession, and family ahead of our own. Independence, outward focus, and trust define our relationship with our staff. Through thoughtful and targeted educational and professional development opportunities, meaningful work, and a healthy and collaborative work environment, we seek to empower staff as they improve the larger communities they serve.
As a Senior Transportation Design Practice Leader at KAI, you will:
- Apply intensive and diversified knowledge of transportation engineering and design principles across a broad range of projects in multiple locations throughout the U.S.
- Provide tactical and strategic direction in the growth and development of the firm’s design practice.
- Orchestrate project teams of various sizes and skills and manage staff and subconsultants across multiple offices and locations.
- Assume responsibility for various aspects of project and client management, project development, and business development within the firm’s transportation design practice.
- Provide roadway and intersection design guidance and support including extensive mentoring to young and mid-level staff.
- Be responsible for quality assurance and quality control through the development and review of construction plans, specifications and estimates.
- Interface with clients and look for and create opportunities to take on additional responsibility as you manage your own career path.
- Represent clients and the firm at project meetings, open houses and/or public hearings.
We’re looking for candidates that have:
- 15+ years of civil engineering experience with an emphasis in roadway and intersection design and preparation of final design plans.
- Significant experience in leading projects involving designs of the following elements: roadways, intersections, roundabouts, drainage, pedestrian/bicycle facilities, traffic signals, construction traffic control, illumination, and/or signing & striping.
- Applied advanced project management and scheduling principles for all sizes of transportation design projects.
- Experience with the management and coordination of multidisciplinary teams involving one or more sub-consultants.
- A PE in either ID or MT and the willingness to obtain licensure in other states through reciprocity.
- Experience with business development and other marketing efforts to secure design work.
- Experience mentoring or training other staff in the technical elements of transportation design.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following design software tools: Microstation, InRoads, Geopak, OpenRoads, and/or AutoCAD Civil 3D.
We’re looking for candidates that are:
- Entrepreneurial by nature and ready to grow our firm’s transportation design practice;
- Passionate for the transportation industry with a genuine commitment to the profession;
- Outward focused with an inherent belief in customer service, collaboration and teamwork;
- Excited to teach and mentor other staff;
- Comfortable working with little guidance or oversight in an organization with a relatively flat structure; and
- Eager to apply critical thinking to complex engineering problems and to communicate solutions to our clients, project stakeholders and the general public.
Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment, increase the value and contributions to our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success for everyone on the team.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in the transportation profession today, we want to hear from you!